We, the Māngere community, have ideas for developing and maintaining our health and wellness. These ideas are an important expression of the power of community leadership.
Follow the link to see a summary of other community concerns
Working actively on our health and wellness
The call is for health and others professionals to work with us on community ideas and community-led initiatives. We don’t want more agency programmes where we are simply passive recipients.
These are some of our ideas:
- Positive parenting programmes for migrant groups.
- Support groups for solo mothers and other parents. These groups would reflect on the issues of drugs and alcohol, among other things.
- Endorse and encourage healthy activities that Māngere people currently do – walking, bowls, exercise classes, swimming, going to the gym and playing sport. We want to learn how to make healthy eating enjoyable and interesting.
- We are interested in body ‘warrants of fitness’ at different stages of life.
- We want to increase our first aid skills and have more confidence to apply them.
- Acupuncture, physiotherapy and chiropractor services which would be coordinated in general practices.
When these and other community-led initiatives are worked through with our communities, people will be more confident in showing leadership and offering direction.